Financial Aid FAQ's

 What is considered financial aid?

Any type of assistance used to assist with the Cost of Education is considered Financial Aid. (i.e. grants, loans, scholarships, waivers, vouchers, work-study jobs, etc…)

How do I apply for all types of aid?

A student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. You may complete the FAFSA electronically at Once you complete and SUBMIT your application electronically, you will receive a Student Aid Report within two weeks. Each school you listed on the FAFSA will also receive your information electronically and will then be in contact with you.

What types of aid are available at Texas College?

Texas College offers grants, Direct Loans, work-study and scholarships. All programs are designed to assist students with the resources necessary to further their education at Texas College.

My FAFSA indicates that I am selected for verification. What is verification?

At least 30% of all FAFSA applicants are selected for verification by the Department of Education. This merely means that you are asked to supply additional paperwork to "verify" income, family members, untaxed income, etc. Texas College is required by the Department of Education to verify this information before aid can be awarded to you. If you are unable or unwilling to provide requested documentation, Texas College will be unable to process any Federal aid for you.

What is an EFC?

EFC - Estimated Family Contribution is a number determined by the U. S. Department of Education (based on your FAFSA information) that is subtracted from your Cost of Attendance to determine eligibility for Pell Grants and other need-based aid.

Will my financial aid be affected if I drop a class?

All Financial Aid recipients are subject to the policies concerning Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). File Satisfactory Academic Progress is defined as passing the required number of hours, obtaining the required grade point average, and not exceeding a maximum attempted hours.

How do I appeal to regain my financial aid eligibility?

A student must appeal to receive financial aid after failure to obtain standards required by Satisfactory Academic Progress. Completing a Financial Aid Appeal Form, a student is only allowed to appeal once per academic year.

If I resign from school, will I owe money?

Students who withdraw from the College must complete an Exit Loan Counseling at 
After an official or unofficial withdrawal from the College, a refund and/or repayment evaluation must be performed on students' account to determine eligibility for refund or repayment. Federal Regulations require that we determine the amount of time enrolled at the institution and apply appropriate refunding. You must earn more than 60% of your aid by attending more than 60% of your registered class time to keep all aid disbursed. NOTE: If a recipient of federal aid stops attending class without officially resigning from the College, a last date of attendance will be applied based on information received from the instructors and appropriate refunding applied.

You must maintain attendance in at least one class beyond the 60% date. The 60% date is posted on the financial aid web page.

How do I obtain an IRS Tax Transcript?

You can obtain an IRS Tax Transcript by contacting the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040 and ask for a tax return transcript. (Do not request a tax summary)

You may also download and print a copy of your IRS Transcript by accessing IRS Get Transcript.

Will financial aid pay for remedial/developmental classes?

Yes, you may receive federal financial aid for developmental classes, up to 30 credit hours.

I am enrolled in the Success program (or modules). How does this affect my financial aid awards/refunds?

Student Loans:

Student loans will not apply to your student account until you have begun attendance in six hours or more.

Example: If you are enrolled for three hours in term 1 and three hours in term 2, your loan will not apply to your account, nor generate a refund, until 10 days after term 2 begins. If your instructor reports that you never began attendance (no show) in one of those classes, you will not receive your student loan funds.

Pell Grants:

Pell grants will be re-calculated for students enrolled in modules/terms after the first day of class for the module/terms and after the “enrollment verification” (or “no show”) period for that module/terms. An enrollment verification period will occur for each module.

Example: If you are enrolled for six hours term 1 and later add a class in term 2, your Pell will be re-calculated after the first day of class for term 2 and after the “no show” period has ended” (typically prior to the 12th day of class). When Pell is re-calculated, the Pell grant will be increased if your enrollment status has increased. However, if your enrollment status has decreased (due to dropping classes previously paid for term 1), your Pell grant will be decreased and you will owe money to the College.